Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Insomnia, Pictures Post


One of those giant slugs with my
foot for scale... gross
Well, I think I'm still adjusting to the timezone here and wanted to post those pictures from my hiking before I go to Stavanger for the weekend - I leave tomorrow early morning.  We're going to be touring Aker Solutions and National Oilwell Varco, two companies related to oil drilling.  Then we're going on a boat tour of the Lysefjorden where we should see the Preikestolen from the water.  I plan to stay an extra day and make the hike to the top of Preikestolen, so expect some cool pictures from there.


I went on three hikes where I took these pictures.  The first one was just up to the church which you'll see later in the photos where they had a pretty cool monument set up.  I could only understand bits and pieces of the plaque, but I believe it was for those who died in the resistance movement during WWII.
The main monument, the column had names around three
sides.  The clouds in the background were a huge downpour
that I barely beat getting back to the dorms.
Just another picture showing one of the cannons around the
sides of the monument and a small stone bear.

The next day, I went on a hike along the "Knut Hamsun" path.  For those of you who interested in literature and drama, both Henrik Ibsen and Knut Hamsun have very strong ties to Grimstad.  I walked the path that Knut Hamsun snuck along to post a letter to his wife after being committed to house arrest for supporting the Germans in World War 2.  I didn't get many pictures of the path, but it was very rugged and very impressive for an 80 year old man.

The last path was up to a lookout point that you can see from most of the city that I found by walking around until I saw a gravel path that looked right (thank you allemannsretten) and walked up it.  The view was fantastic, and I took many more photos than I'm going to post here.  The name of the point was Binnaben, which I don't think has any special meaning.



This was from the Knut Hamsun path.
A view of the church and town from the last path.
I climbed up to "Binabben" which I think is just the name of
the lookout point.

Future summer home?
Looking down on the town roofs.

A last look at the town before I head back to campus.
(Except I can't figure out how to move the pictures, so this is 2nd to last, I guess)

Here's a view of the town from the last path.  The campus is at the very top right of the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment